Client: Avid Property Group
AVID Property Group (AVID) is a dynamic and diversified residential community developer who create thriving communities in near-city and sought-after regional locations in Victoria, New South Wales and Queensland.
They are one of Australia’s largest residential developers backed by a 46 year history. Their projects deliver broadacre land projects, master-planned communities, completed house and land packages and apartments. They boast a gross revenue pipeline of $4.9 billion, with 45,000 homes and 15,000 new blocks brought to market.
Waterford Estate is one of AVID’s recent and largest growing community developments in the Hunter Valley region. Waterford sets exceptional new benchmarks in quality living – lot size options, mountain views, wide open parklands and a vibrant community.
With a lot at stake for the success of the project, involving delivery of 369 lots, AVID engaged Orion to assist with the construction and project management.
Orion has worked closely with AVID over the past three years to deliver the Waterford Estate project. This complex project involves three contracts which encompass multiple stages. So far, we have successfully completed two of the contracts and we are currently progressing the third.
Our role has included:
• Construction management for the delivery of three contracts which encompass multiple stages.
• Project Management, including the formulation of systems, to ensure timely completion of milestones as well as consideration of all inter-dependencies.
• Relationship building and management between Orion, AVID, the external designer and contractors to ensure seamless synergy with the project team as a whole.
The most significant challenge for the project Involves the complex nature of the contractual requirements in such an extensive residential subdivision.
The complexity lies within the timing of the stages within the separate contracts. While each stage may have been under one contract, it was run as a separate portion which would be added prior to the commencement of each stage.
This meant that during any period of time there could be from five to eight different contracts being monitored and administered. It required precise project management acumen - any slippage or poor judgement could potentially have a disastrous impact on project outcomes.
1. We constructed and implemented solid foundations early in the project to make sure Orion, AVID and external contractors were on the same page. This allowed us all to work effectively and without confusion across many different contracts that were running concurrently.
2. We created a register system which effectively monitored extensions of time, variations and progress claims, across multiple stages concurrently.
3. We have delivered two of the three contracts which involved:
- 230 lots
- Pump station
- Feature basin
- McFarlane’s Road intersection
4. We are still progressing:
- 139 lots
- Pump station
- 2 x feature basin
- 4 x 1500 diameter pipes
- Link Road culvert crossing
Our client benefitted from time and cost savings across the project.
With Orion’s effective management of the contract, the result was reduced man hours being required project wide, saving money.
The implementation of Orion’s high quality defined system avoided any confusion with dates and variations which ordinarily could be lost on such a large, complex project with many moving parts.
AVID are a prestigious company with an outstanding reputation, this was enhanced by Orion’s expertise, capability and professionalism to efficiently deliver on project outcomes.
- Engineering Consulting